Saturday, December 24, 2011

Curses and Cursed ones. (Iana #13)

Previously from Iana's Story.

From the travel journal of Crown Prince Roderick of Carentas


17th day before Kalends of June, year 217

Nearly a month has passed since the brief encounter we had. I would like to say I have put her fully from my mind. I cannot.


16th day before Kalends of June, year 217

A proper and fond farewell we gave to Catha and to Lord and Lady Hildegale. There is a lightness to my step having put their company behind me. Leric finally recovered enough to continue our travels. I have been impatient to go. Lady Hildegale was sorely disappointed that she had not managed to find me a bride, and I was leaving Catha still unattached. How I managed all these weeks to elude her matchmaking is miraculous indeed. It was almost as bad as a curse. Of course, while Lady Hildegale would see being unmatched as a curse, to me Lady Hildegale was the curse.

I learned something of the Princess Iantheia before my departure. I couldn't very well leave Lady Hildegale without one last inquiry. Lady Hildegale expounded in great detail what she knew, which I will not inscribe here, as it was lengthy. Suffice to say, the Princesses of Winding returned home. It was no mystery after all. Their Kingdom fares poorly and has for many years. There was a curse placed on the Princess Iantheia. A particularly strong curse that took place when she turned sixteen, three years ago. Somehow it involved spinning wheels. Lady Hildegale knew frustratingly little about her curse and how it was broken. I am still intrigued by them - curses and cursed ones. And now I learn this about her. Small wondered why my interest in her lingers, even a month later. Had I but known sooner . . . I am tempted even now to travel south to Winding to learn more. I haven't mentioned it to Leric yet.


15th day before, year 217

At Catha's border, a small port along the Trade River. Leric draws as much attention as ever, even with his eye patch. He plays the jester. He plays the pirate. He plays the lover. He plays the idiot. All for a good laugh and a few pennies. But when we are alone, he plays only mournful songs. His spellwork has suffered from the loss of his eye and I can see how that, more than his new scar, bothers him.

late evening, the same.

A remarkable turn of events. Usually we rely on my connections to find lodging and passage from one noble family to another, this time an old friend of Leric's approached us. A merchant whose vessel stood at port. He invited us aboard his ship - the Avid. He was good company, cheered Leric considerable and told remarkable stories. Strange tales of the people and places he'd traveled to. None, he claimed, more strange than the village and port he found on the other side of the Trade River, along the Fire Woods! A port there! None such exist on my maps! My mind races even now as I recall his tale. He gave me his charts and all records of its location. I have never heard of such a thing. Only strange spirits, elves and witches have ever managed to live in that dangerous forest. Good runners can find their way through, if they carry charms and follow only certain paths. Most who venture within do not return. Yet, this merchant says he found a port and a village. People living along the Fire Woods! Incredible. The villagers all appeared human to him, but he was certain they were cursed in some manner. I must learn more. Leric knows me well. He is prepared to leave at once. We need only to gather supplies, and find a ship willing to take us to this strange village of cursed ones. We go at once.

Winding will have to wait.

to be continued. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment